Thursday, July 21, 2005

The Passing of a Batman Legend: Jim Aparo

I seldom deviate from posting movie reviews, or something about movies. But I have to write it here, as I just can't use the Sideblog for something like this.

I just learnt that Jim Aparo had passed away. For the uninitiated, Jim Aparo is one of THE definitive artists of the comic character Batman. There are other classic artists who ranks up there, with the likes of Neal Adams, Mike Mignola, Norm Breyfogle, etc.

But I grew up on the Batman comics with Mr Aparo, in the 80s. And he drew one of the controversial storylines in "Death in the Family" - where the Joker managed to kill the Jason Todd Robin because fans actually called in to vote that Robin does not live.

In the 90s, he drew quite a number of Batman story arcs, but somehow left abruptly when the Knightfall mega crossover kicked in. And I stopped reading the Dark Knight on a regular basis too.

I guess my only regret is not having the opportunity to meet in person one of the legends and obtain his autograph. Kept postponing my planned visits to the Comics-Con... heard he was supposed to be involved in the recent 2005 one which just ended, but had to disappoint fans due to illness.

Godspeed Mr Aparo.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...