Sunday, July 31, 2011

[DVD] My Blueberry Nights (2007)

Love in a Diner


I've got to admit one of the prime reasons why I picked this up was its availability in the bargain bin, and given that I was quite ambivalent about the film the first time round when I watched it in the cinemas some three years back, I thought I should give it another go. And to no surprise, I've begun to like this film a little more, noticing some aspects of the film that I've failed to initially, and certain emotional aspects of the story just screaming out.

Which I suppose the experience always ties in to the current state of mind and emotions one's in, especially with a Wong Kar Wai film that is constantly fluid, discovering new things with each viewing, and gaining different experiences out of it, just like how I had disliked In the Mood for Love the very first time I saw it, but instantly after an emotional shift, came to embrace it wholeheartedly. My Blueberry Nights is beginning to have that effect on me, with characters struggling to let go as well as finding a centre for reconciliation and a second chance.

You can read my earlier review of the film here.

The Code 1 DVD by The Weinstein Company Home Entertainment presents the film and its extras in an anamorphic widescreen format, with audio in Dolby Digital 5.1 and subtitles in English close captioned and Spanish. Scene selection is available over 23 chapters. The DVD autoplays with an anti smoking warning thetruth.org, trailers (2:41) for upcoming DVDs for The Deal and Berlin, and trailers (4:54) for films already available on DVD such as Breaking and Entering and The Great Debaters.

There are only two Special Features included in this edition of the DVD that are substantial, with the other two being the cursory Theatrical Trailer (2:07) and two Stills Galleries which contain photos in two broad categories - Location Scout Photos with 24 stills, and Production / Publicity Photos with no less than 60 shots. I've never understood why film stills are included in DVDs to begin with anyway.

Making My Blueberry Nights (15:53) is the standard behind the scenes look at the filmmaking process, with plenty of interviews with director Wong Kar Wai and his leading lady Norah Jones, and others like Natalie Portman and Jude Law as well, talking about their experiences in working in a Wong Kar Wai film. And for fans of the director, there's the Q&A with Director Wong Kar Wai (18:30) moderated by David Scwartz, Chief Curator, The Museum of the Moving Image, where you can hear first hand from the auteur how My Blueberry Nights got conceived, and especially about his creative process as well. Though nothing fans will probably not already know about, it's still a rare opportune to listen to the director in English.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...